Tuesday, July 9, 2013

It's not raining...YET!

I just went out to feed the chickens, ducks and goats.  The ground is a mucky mess with mud, and the grass is growing like crazy because of all the rain.  But, it's not raining yet, I may be able to get out and work in the animal house this morning.  I am so in love with our baby chick.  It is getting big and is much more mature than the hatchery chicks, which is surprising to me.  It really makes a difference when baby chicks have a "mommy" chicken to teach them all their chicken ways.

Our "home made" baby chick
I can't wait for this chick to grow up and I can tell if it's a hen or a rooster.  At the moment, I think it may be a rooster.  It's got really thick legs and it's getting it's comb already.  I think I read somewhere that roosters get their combs earlier than hens.  I may be wrong but in time we will know for sure, won't we?

I made such a delicious cake this past weekend for fellowship at church.  I feel compelled to share the recipe.  I made it exactly as the recipe suggests, but next time I think I may try apples instead of peaches.  The cake was so moist and tasty, even my husband ate some of it and he hates peaches.  That event will go down in history, that he even tried something out of a pan that is made with peaches.  This recipe is called Gooey Peach Cake and I found it on Pinterest.  Yes, I am still addicted to Pinterest.  I love that site and have found some amazing recipes from other pinners.  If you want to check out some of the recipes I've found, just check out my boards.

I planted some seeds left over from a spaghetti squash that we ate for dinner one night.  I laid them out on a paper towel for a few days and let them dry a bit.  I planted them last week and hoped that they would grow.  I'm always leery about seeds from vegetables from grocery stores.  You never know if they have been genetically altered or treated not to sprout.  I am excited to see that they all have sprouted and are growing now.  I hope they do well and I end up with some spaghetti squash.  I love it and would love to have an ample supply of it, because it's expensive to buy in the store.  I will keep my fingers crossed that I see some squash growing this summer and if I do I will propagate the seeds to plant for next year.
Spaghetti Squash is sprouting
I have a lot I want to get done today so I better get off the computer and out in the humidity.  Even though it's cool in the morning you can still feel that humidity.  I can handle heat, but humidity makes it miserable. I hope if you are looking for a good treat you try that recipe!  Here is too a great day for everyone!