Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beaming Mother Hen


I know every parent is a proud hen when it comes to his or her babies and I am not any different. I am truly so proud of all my children. Each one of them has something special and unique to them that they excel at and they all make me smile with beaming pride. I have to brag just a little about my son Evan, he is in his second year of school tennis at the Junior High School and he’s doing so well. He had his first match yesterday and as he said “owned” it. Thank heavens I’m hip and up to date so I knew right away that he meant he won. Tennis is a great sport to start with in youth. I played tennis in high school and into college. Now don’t get me wrong, I was not very good but I loved to play. I think it helps a child develop a lot of hand eye coordination and it does give them a good cardio workout with running back and forth and side to side. I am so proud that my son has taken to it, as he is very active in football and baseball and karate as well. He’s asked me to get out on the court once again and I may just do that when the weather warms up but it’s been a very long time since this old mom has volleyed balls on the court! I do like the game of tennis though.

And since I am on the subject of kids. It’s prom time around my house with my son’s last senior prom and its all the buzz around the house. The planning, the excitement, the crisis’s and the cost! Oh my goodness to think how expensive this one school dance turns out to be. I just melt when I see my young man dressed in that tuxedo with his boyish grin and dapper hairstyle. It’s that moment when you can’t believe this 200 pound 6 foot man is your baby! Graduation is this year for him and I have been feverishly planning his celebration. I’m so proud of him and I will miss him dearly when he leaves my nest for college.

Not to leave out my daughter who also does karate and just finished up her basketball season. She’s wonderful and I enjoy the age she is right now she is just coming into her own with wanting to fix her hair and wear a bit of makeup and the boy gossip is blooming as well. I have to smile when the drama just pours from her mouth as if I would never know anything like these stories before. It’s so entertaining!

With active growing kids in the house having quality snacks and foods for them is important to me. I thought I’d share a few recipes my hungry tummies enjoy!

Zucchini Muffins

Note: You don't have to peel the zucchini before shredding it for this recipe. It won't affect the taste and the peel will provide some extra fiber.

Prep time: 30 minutes

What you need:

  • 1½ cups shredded zucchini (about 2 small)
  • 2 cups whole-grain pancake or biscuit mix
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • 2 eggs
  • ¾ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • powdered sugar (enough to dust the muffins)

What to do:

  1. Wash zucchini and remove ends.
  2. Shred zucchini using largest holes on grater.
  3. Place grated zucchini on paper towels and squeeze to remove water.
  4. Measure 1½ cups of squeezed-dry zucchini.
  5. Preheat oven to 375° Fahrenheit.
  6. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
  7. In a large bowl, mix whole-grain pancake mix (or biscuit mix) with spices.
  8. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and lemon juice.
  9. Fold the egg-sugar mixture and shredded zucchini into the pancake-spice mixture; do not overmix.
  10. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full with batter.
  11. Bake 10–15 minutes or until golden.
  12. Remove muffins from tin and cool on a wire rack.
  13. Sprinkle muffins with a dusting of powdered sugar.

About a dozen muffins.

Pineapple Pops

Prep time: about 60 to 120 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 c. plain yogurt
  • 1/2 c. canned crushed pineapple (packed in its own juice instead of packed in syrup)
  • 1 can frozen pineapple or orange-pineapple juice concentrate, thawed

Directions:

  1. Drain the can of crushed pineapple so all the juice runs out.
  2. Put all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix them together.
  3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cups. Fill them almost to the top.
  4. Stretch a small piece of plastic wrap across the top of each cup.
  5. Using the popsicle stick, poke a hole in the plastic wrap. Stand the stick straight up in the center of the cup.
  6. Put the cups in the freezer until the mixture is frozen solid.
  7. Remove the plastic wrap and peel away the paper cup. You'll have pineapple pops to eat and share!

Serves: 6

Serving size: 1 pop

Peachy Freeze

rep time: 1 to 2 hours

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 c. sliced peaches (they can be either fresh or canned)
  • 1 tsp. sugar

Directions:

  1. Pour the milk into an ice cube tray and freeze until solid.
  2. Pop the "milk cubes" out of the tray and put them into the blender. Then put the peaches and sugar into the blender.
  3. Put the lid on the blender and blend on high speed until everything is all mixed together and very smooth.
  4. Pour your Perfect Peachy Freeze into serving dishes and serve right away.

Serves: 3

Strawberry Smoothie

Prep time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 ice cubes
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/3 c. cottage cheese
  • 2/3 c. frozen strawberries
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Pour all of the ingredients into the blender.
  2. Put the lid on the blender and blend for 45 to 60 seconds until smooth.
  3. Pour your smoothie into a glass and enjoy.

Serves: 1

Serving size: 1 large glass

No comments: