Friday, March 16, 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder...or is it thoughts go wilder?

I have been absent from my blog for a couple of days.  My apologies, but I have been deeply diverted into other activities and my mind was focused on getting things done.  I am almost finished with my chair, I'm working on the seat cushion and then I will have it completed.  I am very proud of how it is turning out.  I still haven't touched my shelf that I was unhappy with, but I have been looking at colors and trying to decide what I want to do with it.  I found old windows and lumber on craigslist for free and we went and picked that up yesterday.  My son was grumpy loading the wood, mumbling about it being crap wood and not worth using, however, I was very happy; each piece sending my mind into a whirlwind of what can I do with THIS!  I really just wanted the windows, but the wood was a nice bonus.  I am going to make one of those greenhouses out of old windows when I get enough of them together.  Have you seen them on Pinterest? They are amazing and I get so fascinated with peoples creativity, and wonder "why didn't I think of that?"

I have a very busy day ahead of me today, there is so many things to get done and it seems there isn't ever enough time in the day!  I wish there were 2 or 3 of me sometimes so that everything gets completed on the lists.  Having this little farm we are building seems to increase my things to do list by miles.  Most days I don't mind it, but sometimes I feel overwhelmed and think WHY are we doing this again? haha I have been trying to get that finished, completed look out of my mind and just accept the reality that nothing ever really is completed on a farm.  The baby chicks are growing like weeds and flying out of their wading pool all over my bathroom.  Today is their 2 week birthday and the next 4 weeks are going to be a wild ride if this is how they are at two weeks.  I still think they are cute and adorable but they are very messy little critters.  My last chicks weren't flying all over, I am not sure why these are doing it. Maybe because my last batch I had in the bathroom, were small in number and this is a big crowd so chicky see, chicky do!  I need to get the hay out of the big chicken pen and take it to the garden to get tilled into the soil.  I do the deep litter method and I love it, I'm all about multi-tasking and this system works great for me with the chickens.  I need to get up into the garden to do some weeding with the winter vegetables we planted and I still haven't planted anything in my new log beds we built.  I will get there, it's not like anything is going anywhere!  It's so hard when one person does most of the work, I definitely need to check into cloning!

My older son is having a St. Patricks day party tonight along with his friends 25th birthday party in combination.  They should have a great time, I am going to make a few snacks for them including Rachel Ray's Hot Reuben dip.  I'm sharing her link and recipe in case you want to make it. It's quite tasty.  I couldn't find rye bread squares, believe it or not, at Walmart so I just got a couple loaves of french bread I'm going to slice them up nice and thin and put out.  I am going to make a spinach dip and some cream cheese tortilla rollups too, I'm going to color the cream cheeses and sour creams green for St. Paddy's Day affect.  I got a couple of cute green baskets at the Dollar Tree to put the bread and chips into and I got a couple of oval plastic tubs there as well to put something in, I'm not sure yet what I will put in them.  I think they will have a good time and if the weather holds and remains nice they can be outside with the big fire pit going so that I might get some sleep.  I am an early to bed girl, and when they get together in the winter inside the house, well sometimes I might go to bed but there is no guarantee I'm going to sleep!

Have a Fantabulous Friday Everyone!

Hot Reuben Dip

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded or chopped, divided
  • 1/2 pound corned beef, chopped
  • 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
  • 1/2 cup sauerkraut, drained
  • 1 package of rye cocktail bread squares
Yields: 6-8 servings

Preparation

Preheat oven 350°F.
In a large mixing bowl, mix half of the Swiss cheese with all the ingredients except the bread squares.
Place the mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. Heat in the oven until bubbly, about 20 minutes. Turn on the broiler and brown the top.
Serve the dip with the bread squares alongside.

No comments: