Saturday, February 18, 2012

Eggs, Manicotti, and my broken camera!


(these are past Easter eggs the kids and I dyed, but I wanted a picture for my post!)


It feels so good to cook with my own eggs!  I have patiently been waiting for my chickens to start laying and my patience is paying off.  I am far from getting a lot of eggs but at least one every day, and today for the first time I used my own eggs in the manicotti I made.  Our church is having a "lunch-in" tomorrow and our theme is Italian.  I was so excited because it gave me the opportunity to whip up my home made manicotti and I put together a nice antipasto salad and a quick and easy tiramisu.  I'm so bummed that I can't take photos of things right now, but I'm having to save for a new camera.  My camera must just be worn out, it sucks the batteries dry right after I put them in and I can't upload anything on my computer even if I do get a photo taken.  I feel so lost without my camera, it was like an additional appendage for me!  I thought since I can't share a photo or three then I would at least share my recipe for manicotti!  It takes some time to make the manicotti "shell/crepes" but it is oh so worth it and delicious!


Home Made Manicotti

8 Eggs
3 Cups Water
3 Cups all-purpose
1 ½ Teaspoons Salt,

Combine eggs, water, all-purpose flour and salt in your mixing container. I use my kitchen aid mixer, but a bowl and hand mixer works well too. Blend until mixture is smooth.

How to Make Manicotti Shells

Lightly spray pan with Pam and then heat the pan for about a minute over medium high heat. Spoon approximately 1/4 cup of batter into the middle of the hot frying pan.

Quickly and carefully tilt the pan in a circular motion until the batter forms a round, thin layer in the pan. (Similar to a crepe or a very thin pancake.)

Cook about 1 or 2 minutes until the shell surface appears dry.

Carefully lift the manicotti shell out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cool stack with wax paper squares on top of each other.

Repeat process to make approximately 24 shells.


Lightly spray pan with Pam and then heat the pan for about a minute over medium high heat. Spoon approximately 1/4 cup of batter into the middle of the hot frying pan.

Quickly and carefully tilt the pan in a circular motion until the batter forms a round, thin layer in the pan. (Similar to a crepe or a very thin pancake.)

Cook about 1 or 2 minutes until the shell surface appears dry.

Carefully lift the manicotti shell out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool. Once cool stack with wax paper squares on top of each other.

Repeat process to make approximately 24 shells.

The Filling

3 pounds Ricotta Cheese
3 Eggs
1 pound shredded Mozzarella Cheese
½ Cup finely chopped Parsley or a full 11g spice bottle of dry parsley
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons salt

Directions

Combine ingredients in a bowl and stir until well mixed.

Spoon about 2 or 3 Tablespoons into the center of a manicotti shell and roll. Fold the ends in over the filling and then roll the shell like a burrito.

Spoon your favorite tomato sauce into the bottom of the pan to cover.

Arrange manicotti in the pan and lightly cover with additional tomato sauce.

Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[p]The combination of these two push and pull movemen . You can buy the original uggs flatsoled boot kinds by using minimal Even though yet they can be young as an alternative to girls, they will employ a [url=http://www.newcheapuggbootsau.co.uk]cheap ugg boots[/url] heart, more mature as well as more life experiences trigger me to feel additional captivating . This kind of UGG boots has a light and flexible molded EVA outsole which provides [url=http://www.newcheapuggbootsau.co.uk]new ugg boots[/url] astonishing comfort when wearing . Now many people are facing a dilemma-authentic boots are expensive while [url=http://www.newcheapuggbootsau.co.uk]ugg boots australia[/url] fake ones are bad . His conviction, [url=http://www.newcheapuggbootsau.co.uk]chestnut ugg boots[/url] passion, and gushing from the heart that adhere to determine his long road of life . Stay Warm With Cheap Ugg Boots This Winter!Dressing [url=http://www.newcheapuggbootsau.co.uk]cheap ugg boots sale[/url] of an individual plays a substantial role in depicting his personality . UGG boots are incredibly popular in the cold-weather months, and customers love the styles and comfort available each year . So bear in mind to do some research and learn the distinct characteristics of the genuine UGG boots before rushing to stores . I f y o u l i k e t h i s s t y l e , y o u n e e d b u y a s e a r l y a s p o s s i a b l e t o l e a d t h e f a s h i o n.[/p]