Sunday, October 3, 2010

Overcoming Obstacles

Life is a maze. The journey is riddled with obstacles in all sorts of situations and maneuvering through the journey and making the right choices is the key to success. Do we always make the right choice? Sadly, no we do not. However, learning from our mistakes is part of the experience that makes us wise and gives us knowledge on how to move ahead. My father once told me that he could tell me all the mistakes that I would make but then I would never learn anything from them. This information has stayed with me throughout my life. When I make a choice that did not work for me, I remember those words that I have to learn from my mistakes. Raising my children, I too have borrowed that statement and shared that information with my children. Will it stay with them as it did me? I do not know the answer to that yet, but I can hope that it will and whatever mistakes they make, that they do learn from them.

You may be saying to yourself right now, I do not have any obstacles in my life, everything goes as I want it to. Is that true? Taking a moment to reflect might show you that you combat and deal with obstacles every day and do not even realize it. You could have had to overcome an obstacle just logging onto the computer today or with a search engine trying to find what you were looking for on the internet. There are many different forms of obstacles and learning to recognize the strength and abilities we as human beings have in overcoming them is the beginning step in finding ways to make the most of your life.

Some people choose to tackle obstacles head on and just bull rush right through them, taking no prisoners effect and just looking out for themselves. This could seem ideal at first until you see the path of destruction behind you. Others might find it easier to go the Ostrich route. Bury your head in the sand and it should all go away. This usually leads to a larger situation in the long run. There are those that turn every small detail into a major catastrophe so that the most minor obstacle seems like a mountain to cross. There are some that find it easier to evade and blame others and then take no true responsibility for their path. No matter how people deal with obstacles in their lives, it definitely affects others around them. One might see a small obstacle as just a small obstacle but the other with them sees things with blinders on and only sees their own version of reality which then entails a dramatic catastrophic event. The other person is left with a gaping jaw and confusion as to how the other can make a mountain out of a mole hill.

From birth the maze of life is nothing more than overcoming obstacles that occur from the moment we take our first breath. How one learns to cope with life as we move through it is the difference between happiness and discontent.

My obstacles today might seem overwhelming to some and to others a typical day in their life. For me, I have been planning on how to get through a day full of activities with my family and make them all come into place with the least amount of stress. I am a planner and a list maker. I must have everything laid out so that I can see how it plays out. On the other hand my spouse is a casual it will all work out guy. I know this about myself and about him, so I plan accordingly. I have no worry that with all the current activities that are required today that they will all happen as they are supposed to. Does the thought of it stress me out and give me unnecessary worry? Of course it does and I will turn to what works for me most and that is my faith in God. Prayer and hope and my lists and planning will get me to the end zone of this day.

How will you get through today's obstacles? Do you have something big to deal with that requires all your energy or are you having an easier day where your biggest obstacle is filtering through the television channels? Whether is a day full of obstacles or a day where the obstacles seem easy to overcome, take a moment to reflect on how you make the choices that get you to your end results.

No comments: