Monday, October 11, 2010

Betrayal

Betrayal


According to the definition from the free dictionary.com the definition is as follows:


be·tray
tr.v. be·trayed, be·tray·ing, be·trays
1.
a. To give aid or information to an enemy of; commit treason against: betray one's country.
b. To deliver into the hands of an enemy in violation of a trust or allegiance: betrayed Christ to the Romans.
2.To be false or disloyal to
3.To divulge in a breach of confidence
3.To make known unintentionally:
4.To reveal against one's desire or will.
5.To lead astray; deceive


The effects of betrayal are many but the first most prevalent effect is distress. This emotion encompasses a person and takes over all of their thoughts. The loss of trust can be devastating to a person that feels betrayed. The more trust a person has in another the bigger feeling of loss and the stronger the effect of betrayal.

Following this initial feeling of distress, comes anger then fear and repulsion. These emotions can put a person into physical illness or undue stress.

The next effect of betrayal is the human inclination for justice. A person wants to right the wrong and reach out and cause distress to the one that has betrayed them. The natural effect such as in the bible, an eye for an eye comes to mind first and foremost. However, later in the bible Jesus says love thy enemies and God instructs to love thy brother as you would love yourself. How then can one who believes in the word of God, look for justice?

This topic brings me to where I am today. I feel I have had a confidence betrayed and I feel at a loss as what to do about it. How do I do the right thing and also find the closure and the right frame of mind to even absorb this issue.

I find in life we feel that we can trust certain people in our lives enough to let them into our own private worlds. For me, that is not an easy task, I'm not that open to bringing new people into my life and I find it very hard to build trust in others. But, I did feel I had found a person that I could trust and share things with, and allowed her to know more about me as a person. But, now I have found that my trust in another has left me feeling distressed and very sad. A person that can share another persons information without regard to how it will affect anyone and then nonchalantly feel like it is no big deal and when confronted blames the person they told the information too, is just plain wrong. No matter how you work that scenario it still equals betrayal.

Of course this goes right back to the topic overcoming obstacles. Now this obstacle is before me and I must find the right way to overcome it with a positive attitude and the correct frame of mind. This goes to my conclusion that life is a maze. Choices guide us with each step and every choice we make matters in the long run. I made a poor choice trusting someone and now it has created an obstacle for me to overcome. Will I get past this? Yes, with a lot of thought and contemplation I will overcome this obstacle and will do it with the right intentions and stay in my beliefs that I am to love thy brother and thy enemies. I will not seek justice nor will I let the fear and anger that I am feeling take over my life. I will work through the feelings I am dealing with day by day and learn from my mistake. For me, that mistake is letting others get to close. That saying never show your hand makes a lot of sense to me. I won't get caught off guard again, age does bring wisdom.

No comments: