Sunday, August 9, 2009

Breastfeeding and alcohol consumption

This North Dakota woman that was arrested and sentenced for child negelct over breastfeeding her 6 week old infant has made alcohol and breastfeeding a hot topic. Whatever the reasons behind her behavior she did one good thing and that is put this topic into the news across the nation so that mother's can make better choices and decisions. Was it a crime? The judge thought it was but what do other mothers think? I breastfed my children and I enjoyed a beer or glass of wine during the time I breastfed but I was worried about it and always pumped my milk prior to going out that night and then pumped the milk following for a full day and threw it away. I knew that what milk my babies received from me was clean and healthy. It's not that hard to plan ahead, I always had extra milk available in my freezer. I wouldn't feed my infants following a night out eating spicy food or something that I enjoyed but I knew would give them gas. This story in the news has prompted a lot of discussion and that is the only good thing that has come from this that is good news! READ MORE

No comments: