Try this great recipe for a snack in the afternoon or a side dish with dinner. This also makes a great appetizer for parties or luncheons. This is a diabetic friendly and Vegetarian recipe, but is yummy for everyone!
(makes 40 pieces)
10 6-inch corn tortillas
vegetable cooking spray
3 large ripe avocados
2 cups plain nonfat yogurt, drained
1 large plum tomato, seeded and finely minced
2 tablespoons minced shallots or red onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon chili powder
dash cayenne pepper
10 pitted ripe olives for garnish
minced fresh cilantro for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly spray mini-muffin cups with cooking spray.
2. Cut tortillas into quarters. Mist tortilla quarters with water and place 1 quarter in each muffin cup opening, pushing down in the center to form a cup. Spray again with cooking spay. Bake until cups are golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Tip out the cups and cool on a rack.
3. Cut avocados in half lengthwise; remove and discard the pits. Using a spoon worked in between the flesh and the skin, remove the avocado half from the skin. Cut the avocado into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Using a large mixing spoon, mix the avocado with the yogurt, mashing the avocado as you mix to a chunky consistency. Stir in tomato, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, chili powder, and cayenne. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Cut each olive into 4 crosswise slices. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. To assemble, spoon some of the avocado mixture into each tortilla cup. Sprinkle the top of each with some of the minced cilantro and top with an olive slice. Arrange on a large serving platter.
Per 2-piece serving: 95 calories (45% calories from fat), 3 g protein, 5 g total fat (0.8 g saturated fat), 11 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, 0 cholesterol, 25 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (bread/starch), 1 fat
(Image credit: Google Images)
(Recipe Credit: http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/recipes.htm)